Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Dresser to Nursery Changing Table Make-Over!

As I mentioned in my last post, we're going to welcome a baby into our family some time soon through adoption. The waiting period for a baby can be tough! But we've been able to make it a happy time as we have spent it preparing for the little one to arrive. Getting a nursery ready is a blast for someone who loves to craft as much as I do!

At the beginning of the year, I made a trip over to our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore, in search of something that I could make over into a changing table for the baby's room. As soon as I walked into the store, I spotted this beauty of a dresser (for $30!) and knew my search was over.


It's the perfect size for our space, and aside from the Kermit-like drawers and some minor damage to the surface, it was in pretty fine condition. With a little sanding, a little priming, painting and a coat of wax, I knew it would be like new.


Sassy gave it an inspection, and I'm pretty sure he approved.


I didn't photograph the re-do process but if you'd like to take on a project like this, I recommend checking out the many amazing furniture make-overs that can be found on the fabulous blog of Centsational Girl for inspiration and instructions. (Here's one of my favorites.)

I decided to paint the dresser white, to refinish the drawer pulls with yellow paint, and to add some railing to the top. And here's the final result!


Now I can finally share where the changing pad I re-covered has ended up:



And here's a look at the railing I added to the top. I bought this railing at Home Depot, cut it down to size, sanded, primed, painted and affixed it to the top with some very strong adhesive.



I was originally thinking that I might buy new drawer pulls, but once I sanded the original ones, primed them and painted them yellow, I thought they were a cheery addition, so I kept them:


There you have it! For $30 and a little elbow grease, we have a like-new changing table for our nursery. I wonder what I should refinish next...?


No comments:

Post a Comment